Katrina’s Son

04.25.2010

POSTED IN Film Project Updates, Short Films

Let me start off by saying that this film is not a Hurricane Katrina movie. I know when you hear Hurricane Katrina, you automatically tune out, because for the last five-years, we’ve been bombarded with images of the devastation and heard countless theories about who was, or wasn’t at fault for the levee break. And although, those are important issues that need to be addressed, this film is about people, not politics.  It’s about how a natural disaster forces one boy from the only home he knows, pushes him to a place that he doesn’t know and then leaves him searching for a woman that he knows even less.

I think the storm was tragic, not only for what it destroyed, but also for what it unearthed. It brought to the forefront a city that was mired in poverty, poor education systems and just plain old social deterioration. And showed once again how underrepresented communities have slipped through the cracks for years and have been left to fend for themselves without the proper tools to do so.

The young boy in my film totally slips through. No one pays attention to him, because he’s invisible. It’s almost as though he was washed away in the floodwaters. He was talked about for a few weeks, given a few rations and then left to his own devices.

If this film makes you ask one thing, I hope it is the question…where are they now? Five years later, how are they surviving? And more importantly did that storm happen or is it still happening.

“An emblem of forgotten children everywhere.”
-Tessa Moran, The Washington City Paper

St. Louis Black Film Festival
Waxahachie Film Society

DOWNLOAD PRESS KIT
DOWNLOAD DIRECTOR’S PHOTO
DOWNLOAD PRODUCTION STILL
DOWNLOAD FILM POSTER

40 Responses to “Katrina’s Son”

1. yake80 says:

Looks AWESOME!!!

2. Dan says:

Beautiful Ya’ke. Can’t wait to see more!

3. Raquel says:

Beautiful!! Amazing work! Can’t wait to see more!!
    The Whitney’s

4. Dave Cebrero says:

Looks amazing, I can’t wait to see the film.

5. Marcus Griffin says:

Great seeing the footage. Definitely looking forward to the movie and seeing how it all comes together. I know it’s going to be nice. You be blessed Ya’Ke.

6. Thank you for telling a human story and not a political one. WAY too much blame going around and not enough action. i look forward to the movie. excellent work ya’ke!

7. Rose Catacalos says:

You are a master of the heartbreaking personal story which IS history and IS political, though in a way we can all feel deeply – and which changes us for the better. You go, hermano!

8. You got mad skillz Brotha Ya’ke. I can’t wait until the film comes out!!!

9. Gayle Bustraan says:

Thank you for telling the story not plastered all over media but even more horrific.

10. Sue Pennington says:

I was honored to be a part of this heartfelt, masterful work of art. May God’s richest blessings fall on you!

11. Annie Brown says:

Beautifully done!!! I want
    to see more of it real soon. Love it!

12. Annie Brown says:

Beautifully done!!! I’m waiting to see it all.
    Love it!

13. fstcook says:

Can’t wait to see this! With family living on the coast who survived the original storm but still dealing with the remains everyday, your question is on the mark! Who cares about them now???? The same people who DID NOT care before the storm and still don’t!!

14. ms bonnie says:

love the story line. can’t wait for the full story. May God keep blessing you!

15. Gabe Vazquez says:

Beautiful shots.. can’t wait to see more about this movie..

16. ikeena says:

Some times we find what we are looking for and it is not what we thought it to be.

17. Aria W. says:

Go Tre’!!!

18. Edwin says:

I think the clip was great,
    will there be more to come?

19. PaPa ED says:

Real good peice of work but short.

20. Granna Sarah says:

This is fantastic clip I would like to see more.

21. Uncle Joe says:

I’m soo proud of my nephew!! he is doing BIG things!! I Can’t wait until the movies comes out may God bless you and contiune to shine!!!!

22. Aunt Tonya says:

Tre you did a phenomenal job; I am soooo proud of you! I pray that God will continue to open doors for you.

23. DAD says says:

God is good and I thank Him for answering my prayers and yours.

24. Rod Cole says:

Wow! The film looks great. Congratulations on your acceptance to the Texas Filmmaker Showcase.

25. Alyce Whitney Shivers says:

Great Work Tre! Masterful piece of work. May God continue to Bless You! I can’t wait to see the movie. Lov Ya, Auntie Alyce

26. Raquel and Tre says:

Wow! What amazing work Ya’Ke and his team created. Katrina’s Son left us wanting more. It was great to see it on the big screen and I couldn’t stop the tears. Ed’s performance had everyone wanting to adopt him. Wonderfully and beautifully made. 5 Stars!!!

27. [...] you’re in New York please come out and support Katrina’s Son. It’ll be screening at the HBO/NYLIFF as part of the festival’s Cinedulce Shorts Film [...]

28. Loretta Olison says:

I have not seen the movie yet. I plan to be there Saturday to support a POSITIVE alumni from my school Sam Houston.

29. yake80 says:

Thanks for the support!

30. Avis J.Massey says:

I know you’re going to be the best that you can be. I am so Happy for you,always Follow your dreams.

31. Saw the film at the DC Shorts Film Festival last night….BRAVO!!! Excellent job…..extremely well written, produced and directed! Wishing you much success as you clearly have the talent.

32. [...] Katrina’s Son was awarded Best Narrative Short at the Austin Film Festival this past weekend. This is so AWESOME and I can’t even hardly put it into words. This festival is an Academy Qualifying Fest and makes Katrina’s Son eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award in 2012. How GREAT is that!!! [...]

33. [...] Outstanding Indie Short Film Cred Stag and Doe Katrina’s Son [...]

34. [...] begins with a bang! Katrina’s Son will screen in this amazing festival and at a few others that I can’t mention yet. So much to [...]

35. Carolyn Gibson says:

Great presentation of a story that is so real to so many. A story that really needs to be told for the sake of our youth and the preservation of our future. Thanks to Exodus Filmworks and Ya’ke!

36. [...] University of Arlington Professor and CEO/Founder of Exodus Filmworks, Ya’Ke Smith, whose movie, Katrina’s Son, has been selected to screen at the Cannes International Film Festival. Katrina’s Son is a [...]

37. Nice looking clip Ya’ke. Is it screening in the market or in the short comp? Hope to see it. I missed it in Houston. Tieuel Legacy! Motion

38. nathalia says:

AWSOME! <3

39. the clip looks great!

40. [...] This comes out as we have a conversation about his endeavors. We talked about the previously mentioned “Lilia” as well as his first feature film, “Wolf” which will be screened during the South by Southwest Film Festival (I’ll be attending in March). He refers to “Wolf” as a heavy piece that is going to cause people to start having a conversation, rather than just brushing things under the rug. “Wolf” is directed by Lopez’s longtime collaborator, Ya’Ke Smith, with whom Lopez has worked since high school; they previously produced “Katrina’s Son.” [...]

(Required)